Airlines in the Philippines

Locked 2000 messages Options
1 ... 73747576777879 ... 100

Re: PAL A340

maortega15
Travelbug_89 wrote
Would a 787-9 be able to do JFK direct from MNL all year round had PR gone that route? I know United is doing SIN from SFO and LAX with 787-9s but from what I hear those flights sometimes leave with seats blocked.
Should actually be able to do it comfortably. JFK-MNL is more of a polar route so winds wouldn't be much of a factor.

Re: PAL A340

Travelbug_89
Ah ok. I was under the impression that it wouldn't be able to due to lack of range versus the high gross weight version of the A350-900. Though I imagine the A350-900 is still the better all-arounder especially since the majority of the PAL fleet is Airbus.
 I bet a 787-9 would make for a good plane to do transpacific from CEB too:D provided they get the domestic flights from elsewhere in Visayas and Mindanao to time well with the transpacific departures/arrivals.

MNL-JFK

Arianespace
Administrator
Travelbug_89 wrote
Would a 787-9 be able to do JFK direct from MNL all year round had PR gone that route? I know United is doing SIN from SFO and LAX with 787-9s but from what I hear those flights sometimes leave with seats blocked.
The B77W can so there is no reason why B789 couldn't. I do agree that they will still have block seats. The better question is what aircraft would accommodate more seats as compared to PAL A359 for the same route?
The answer should be interesting.

 Even SQs A359URL SIN-JFK has fewer seats than standard 300+ of PR.
Making Sense

Re: MNL-JFK

Travelbug_89
That's definitely an interesting question. the 789 is a smidge smaller and with 300 passengers its probably not going to make it without a payload hit. Maybe with 254 seats like the current A343 that would be possible but that could mean pricier tickets. The A359 still looks like the better choice and it does help that the majority of PR's fleet is Airbus.

With regards to the 77W, I didn't know it had the legs for year round MNL-JFK. CX does run HKG-JFK with them year round but I'd imagine the the extra flight time to MNL would make it harder for the 77W to make it and possibly take a payload hit if PR decided to do non-stops with their 77W.

Re: MNL-JFK

Arianespace
Administrator

Re: MNL-JFK

seven13
Mind you, CX 77W have a sizeable J class. Fewer total seats than PR.

Re: MNL-JFK

Unbreakable
Just noticed something. TURKISH air is regarded as one of the better/best EU airlines. Their main fleet composition is similar to PR. A320/321, A330/340, 777s, the only difference is the presence of 737s.

First time flying in one next year and looking forward, so i did a quick research and their hard product on their 777s is almost exactly the same as PR's 777s (both old and new) - the only difference being the TK has a 3-3-3 eco layout, but still managing to cram 349 or 400 seats depending on the configuration.

Here's the thing though:
PAL 77w 3-4-3
Pitch 33
Width 18.5

TK 77W 3-3-3
Pitch 31-32
Width 18

Weird?

Just found it interesting.

Re: MNL-JFK

Solblanc

Turkish is known for its consistency across its wide network. In both economy and business, the catering is very generous and the quality is good. As for their business product, they're competitive on price. They may not have the hard product, but you can fly business on Turkish for the price of premium economy on other carriers, and enjoy a flat bed and a really good lounge.

Re: MNL-JFK

Travelbug_89
Sweet! Thanks!

I do wonder though, that once the A350s come online they could potentially open more long haul ops in CEB. Provided they re-open CEB-LAX first and actually time the domestic flights properly with their international flights out of Cebu. Being Bisaya, I was a really big proponent for CEB-LAX, but the A343 is definitely old.

PAL A340

Arianespace
Administrator
seven13 wrote
 photo IMG_4987_zpssfa1jvbe.jpg
I've never flown PAL A340 until got the opportunity to do so before its gone for good. And from what I have seen that is not their current Y seats, thus explains LT newsletter of A340 refurbishments.

This is their new Y seats

PR A340 Y

And this is how the wireless IFE works.

PR A340 Y1

PAL A340 Y2

PR A340 Y3

PAL A340 Y4

And you'll never ran out of battery even if you travel for 48 hours

PAL A340 Y5

Not bad at all at the quarter of the price for the same services.

Making Sense

Re: PAL A340

Solblanc

It's not bad, quite serviceable, and it's ingenious to use the upholstery to hold up the IFE, but at the same time, medium-haul flyers seem to be getting the better end of the stick:

https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2017/07/12/lift-designs-thoughtful-elegant-fun-cabins-for-revitalised-philippine-airlines/

I know that Australia and Japan are some of the highest-yielding routes of PAL, and Honolulu is not far behind, however, the people flying to the mainland US and LHR will have to wait quite a long while before they get a consistent commensurate cabin in J as well as a proper premium economy option. This is why I think that it's odd that they'd take delivery of new 777s this December with the same cabin when they'd have to start retrofitting the T7 fleet in a year or two anyway. All of the design effort that they put into the A330s should also be shared with the T7 fleet.

Re: PAL A340

eejayg
The configuration of the upcoming 77Ws will likely be for logistics reason. Having 2 oddballs would be a pain for equipment swaps but if they're refurbishing them in a year or 2 anyway then yeah, it makes sense to have them delivered with the new config. The 77Ws won't be an extensive refurb as the A330s anyway where it's a complete makeover. They'll likely just remove a section of Y for PY and replace the J cabin with new seats. The Y cabin on the new frames are already using similar seats and colours as the tri-class A330s and are equipped with Panasonic EX3.

Re: PAL A340

maortega15
eejayg wrote
The configuration of the upcoming 77Ws will likely be for logistics reason. Having 2 oddballs would be a pain for equipment swaps but if they're refurbishing them in a year or 2 anyway then yeah, it makes sense to have them delivered with the new config. The 77Ws won't be an extensive refurb as the A330s anyway where it's a complete makeover. They'll likely just remove a section of Y for PY and replace the J cabin with new seats. The Y cabin on the new frames are already using similar seats and colours as the tri-class A330s and are equipped with Panasonic EX3.
The first batch of 77W's needs to be upgraded from nose to tail.

While the new business class seats on the A330 are perfect for medium haul routes, there has to be a better product for long haul routes. The Zodiac Cirrus like the one on CX comes to mind. Just my honest opinion.

They better get it right the first time when they choose a product for the A350 if they haven't done so already.

Re: PAL A340

eejayg
Totally forgot about the older system and seats on the first 6 77Ws. The incoming A350s will likely reflect what we'll see if and when the 77Ws are refurbished. The 3 class A330s will be closer to what we'll see on the regional A321NEOs coming next year.

Re: PAL A340

Unbreakable
Here's a thought though. My guess is that they purposely did not configure the incoming 77W's with similar cabins with the A330s is because of the ff:

- the oldest 777s 7777 and 7776 are leased and could be returned to lessor in a few years
- with PR's push to become 5 stars, you'll definitely need an F cabin. This could be in the works as they finalize the long haul cabins on the a350s

Re: PAL A340

maortega15
Unbreakable wrote
Here's a thought though. My guess is that they purposely did not configure the incoming 77W's with similar cabins with the A330s is because of the ff:

- the oldest 777s 7777 and 7776 are leased and could be returned to lessor in a few years
- with PR's push to become 5 stars, you'll definitely need an F cabin. This could be in the works as they finalize the long haul cabins on the a350s
You don't need an F cabin to be rated 5 stars. EVA Air and Hainan have no F cabin, but are 5 star rated.

Now the oldest 777's being returned to the lesser is something I din't know about. Maybe @chowpau or @Arianespace have more info.

Re: PAL A340

Evodesire
If they would return C7777 and C7776 to its lessor, I don't think it would be anytime soon until they retire all A340s and all A350s are delivered.

Or they would return it lets say another aircraft is for delivery like a 777X hopefully.

Re: PAL A340

Arianespace
Administrator
All the triple seven are long termed leases, which means the two old ones is going to expire sometime in 2019 which is about the same time all the 6 A350 are delivered. With that fleet the airline can already manage two less frames of the 77W. Five years service extension is not that quite clear yet as they planned to acquire the 77X. Note also the 6 options for the A359 which the airline is bend on taking, delivery possibly from 2020-22 after which the 77X is propose to be delivered sometime in 2023 onwards. With that in mind I guess it would be impractical to retrofit the product.
Making Sense

Dipolog Airport

Dash Alvin
This post was updated on .
Hi Ariane! When will be the target date for the night-rating of DPL? Flood lights are not yet installed until now.

Dipolog Airport

Arianespace
Administrator
Next Year. Its bid out already.