Airlines in the Philippines

Locked 2000 messages Options
1 ... 81828384858687 ... 100

Re: 787 and A350

Travelbug_89
Definitely no way for the 789 to win in that case.

Thanks for the explanation!

As for configurations, aren't the A359s only getting 290 seats or something like that?

Re: 787 and A350

maortega15
Qantas and United have blocked seats in the back for PER-LHR and LAX-SIN respectively.

The A359's equivalent is the 78J. But the 78J doesn't have the range like the A359. Basically, the A359 is the longhaul version while the 78J is the regional-medium haul version.

Boeing can -ER the 78J if they wanted to.

Re: 787 and A350

Solblanc
Travelbug_89 wrote
Definitely no way for the 789 to win in that case.

Thanks for the explanation!

As for configurations, aren't the A359s only getting 290 seats or something like that?
It’s about as much as you can cram in an a359 if you want to offer a business, premium economy, and economy cabin. CX a359s have a similar passenger count. An equivalent configuration on a 789 would give you at most 250 seats.

A330-900

Evodesire
Read in the blog that Airbus did a salespitch to PAL regarding the A330-900N. Though yes it would be nice to see this too in PAL's fleet but wouldn't the A359 and A35K still be more sound? In fact, I see more of a Cebu Pacific to take in those A339s if they want to really go transpac on an all economy low cost configuration.

Re: A330-900

Travelbug_89
That new 251T A330-900neo would be a pretty good fit and the commonality would help a lot too. It's impressive how far the A330 has come, I wonder how much more room for improvement it has.

Re: A330-900

Travelbug_89
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bgz56qRnN8I/

It's out of the paint shop and is it wearing the new winglets?!

Re: A330-900

Solblanc
Evodesire wrote
Read in the blog that Airbus did a salespitch to PAL regarding the A330-900N. Though yes it would be nice to see this too in PAL's fleet but wouldn't the A359 and A35K still be more sound? In fact, I see more of a Cebu Pacific to take in those A339s if they want to really go transpac on an all economy low cost configuration.
Airbus also needs a launch customer for the a330-800 so they’re pulling out all the stops to market it. The A330-800 works best on routes where the extra capacity of the 339 or the 359 won’t be needed at all, which works for very few airlines. I mean, if the demand isn’t that high yet, why start the route at all?

However, there is one thing that is very telling about PAL’s fleet plan. All 6 A350s are expected to be delivered by the first half of 2019. The target date for the retirement of the A340 fleet is 2021. Looks like they will need a little extra capacity in the coming years.

Re: PAL A359

Arianespace
Administrator
idp5601 wrote
So does this mean PR are considering the A330NEO for further expansion, especially into Europe? I don't see the 6 A359s being able to serve all the destinations they want to start.
Arianespace wrote
...And it simply does not cut it.

The A330NEO is a capable Transpac and European plane depending upon the airlines seating configuration. If PAL desires a less dense seat of around 250, it can comfortably open SEA, YVR, FCO, MXP, FRA and regional services to AKL and HNL. That is another set of six plane for thin routes. But that is not on the airlines radar right now.

At best, YVR, SEA, FCO, MXP, FRA, and LHR can be serve by a regular a359 with around 300 seats.
This should be a good question now.

At 251t, A339n suddenly become a truly transpac plane with even better CASM than the 242t. At 7200nm range that is merely 400nm short of the B789. Remarkable indeed. And to think it has just become 3t lighter than the 789 MTOW but can carry 297 pax at tri-class.

I must admit the 359 is the better plane but it is also $20 million less at list price, and it can fly domestic. Airbus truly knows how to tickle PAL and sell its plane.
Making Sense

Re: PAL A359

Evodesire
So to which direction is PAL heading for? The A35K or the A339 or A35K first then A339 or vice versa? For them  to take in 4 frames of A359s this year, it seems that they really need more widebodies.

Re: PAL A359

Arianespace
Administrator
Solblanc's timeline presentation is very interesting.

While the A350 have options, so does the A330. Its difficult to tell at this time because the 251t was just announced by Airbus. Your guess should be as good as mine.
Making Sense

Re: PAL A359

Travelbug_89
It's just crazy how far the A330 has come with the upgrades it's gone through. Who would've thunk the bigger one would become a transpacific plane.

PAL Alliance

idp5601
Among the big 3 airline alliances, which alliance is PAL most likely going to join? Star? Oneworld? SkyTeam? Would ANA buying a stake in them (and correct me if I'm wrong but it does look like they are the strongest candidate) could that boost their chances in joining Star, despite the fact that there are already 2 members in SE Asia?

Re: A321N

seastwofly
A RECORD FLIGHT DISTANCE (A321LR)
4,109 n. m. (10h 51m)
https://airlinerwatch.com/a-record-flight-distance-from-the-a321lr/

A321N

Arianespace
Administrator
idp5601 wrote
could that boost their chances in joining Star, despite the fact that there are already 2 members in SE Asia?
Why? How many members are there in EU? And how do you compare the population of Asia and EU? Really doesn't add up if we are thinking that way.

seastwofly wrote
A RECORD FLIGHT DISTANCE (A321LR)
4,109 n. m. (10h 51m)
https://airlinerwatch.com/a-record-flight-distance-from-the-a321lr/
It has been discussed briefly in January. Take note however that this is the 3 ACT as compared to PAL 2 ACT version.

Its capability to fly MNL - AKL vv at 4400nm remains suspect as commercial flight carries more payload than the airbus flight at 162 pax even if the manufacturer said to have flown as much as 4700nm after headwinds. You should read my earlier post as to why.
Making Sense

Re: Star Alliance

idp5601
Arianespace wrote
idp5601 wrote
could that boost their chances in joining Star, despite the fact that there are already 2 members in SE Asia?
Why? How many members are there in EU? And how do you compare the population of Asia and EU? Really doesn't add up if we are thinking that way.
Sorry, had to repost this because I accidentally emailed the response instead of posting it here.

Well one could say that 4 out of 10 *A members in Europe are part of the same group, which would explain the number of Star carriers in the EU.

And while there is equal or bigger demand for air travel in SE Asia I'm not sure how SQ, TG, or even BR would react to PR joining.

Re: Star Alliance

Solblanc

idp5601 wrote
Arianespace wrote
idp5601 wrote
could that boost their chances in joining Star, despite the fact that there are already 2 members in SE Asia?
Why? How many members are there in EU? And how do you compare the population of Asia and EU? Really doesn't add up if we are thinking that way.
Sorry, had to repost this because I accidentally emailed the response instead of posting it here.

Well one could say that 4 out of 10 *A members in Europe are part of the same group, which would explain the number of Star carriers in the EU.

And while there is equal or bigger demand for air travel in SE Asia I'm not sure how SQ, TG, or even BR would react to PR joining.
I don’t think overcrowding is a problem at Star. They seem to have a lot of members that pointedly ignore each other. Alliance membership also isn’t what it once was in the age of the JV. The special perks and benefits of frequent flyers tend to be more pronounced if they fly economy more often as people who always fly business won’t always care where their points go. And even if they were business flyers, accrual rates between member airlines are pretty restrictive depending on the relationship of the airlines within an alliance. Good luck racking up PPS points on UA.

Anyway, Star is overcrowded in any region, and the likes of TG and SQ have worse problems to worry about compared to a resurgent PR that becomes a star member. The ME3 and LCCs are hurting them far more.

Re: A321N

seven13
Hi Arianespace!

I’m not sure if you were able to elaborate how CX fleet planners are making plans for CX’s fleet. You’ve mentioned several times that PR fleet planners are taking cues/following CX’s fleet planners footsteps.

PR Widebody Fleet Planning

Arianespace
Administrator
Yes. In so far as their long haul fleet is concerned. I was discussing this in the other thread before. Both their largest planes are 77w's and ordered more. Both fly the A330s and the A340s as well as the erstwhile B747 and they have mutual dislike to the B787. Both ordered the A359s and both shy away from the A380.  Note also that in all its instance, it was always CX that ordered first followed by PR. So we should be watching closely the 35X coming up.
Making Sense

Re: PR Widebody Fleet Planning

B77Wflyer
I'm Intrigue by the fact that both PR and CX dislike the B787 what could be the reason ?

Re: PR Widebody Fleet Planning

idp5601
So would this mean PR are also looking at the 777X?
1 ... 81828384858687 ... 100