Aviation Meteorology

dreirc
Hi everyone, I'm Andrei a post graduate student in the University of the Philippines - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Meteorology, currently taking up MS Meteorology and doing a study of Aviation Meteorology(particularly Statistics and Sources of Turbulence) for the Philippine airspace domain or Philippine Area of Responsibility. Can anyone help me where to get such data like PIREPs and the likes regarding turbulence? and weather related occurrences?

Re: Aviation Meteorology

tigz
You can check with CAAP central office for pilots reports on major weather incidents. Normally they submit it to Flight Services Station or the tower, not sure about the procedure if they submit it to the local airport right away upon landing or after the turn-around flight that ends up on the hubs like Cebu and Manila.  I think CAAPs major weather surveillance is tied with the station in PAG-ASA in eastern Samar while the local airports record localized acitvity like winds, temperature thru their MET equipment. Not sure if NAIA or Mactan are equipped with the more state of the art radar that detects micro-burst on their periphery but major gateways worldwide would have that. Again your best shot is call CAAP and be more subjective on your questions. I had my own fair share of research for a thesis back then but ended up talking to the tower supervisor in Mactan. Such a delightful experience!

Aviation Meteorology

Arianespace
Administrator
The best you can have is statistics but not the source of turbulence. You can have the data at the CAAP for a fee. There is no studies yet on such topic particularly PAR that I know of. Most books they have are US-based information. That is as far as we can help you. Come back when you have your answers. I'm pretty sure it would be insightful and informative for all of us.
Making Sense